Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Using Skip-Bo Cards to learn Math Skills



One of my favorite games to play with the kids right now is my modified version of
Skip-Bo
I wrote about this a couple of years ago on my blog.  This is game is so simple. 
I started with numbers 1-5. When my little guys can identify them with ease we add six.  


I have all the cards stacked in the middle of the table and each player picks one card at
a time. 
Then we lay the cards out in front of them in order.  


If he does not know the number then we count the numbers in front of him so he can match
the number or find the correct spot for it.  


It is fun and easy to play.  If a child gets the Skip-Bo card he gives all the players a high-five.
 (This is better than saying you lose your turn and it encourages team building.) The winner
of the game is all the people who are having fun. I usually give everyone a sticker who
has fun and clean up.  


As the kids advance in their knowledge you can play:
  • War:  Divide the cards evenly between all the players.  Each player flips a card, the
person with the greatest value number wins all the cards.  In the event of a tie, flip a
second card.  
  • Change the game to the person with the least value.  
  • Then play where you flip two cards and add them up for your value.  

I also used the cards as an enrichment activity for double and triple digit addition and
subtraction in Math Journals. 

**Don't be afraid to stack the deck with only numbers you want to use. I have several
sets of cards so when I am working with 1-2-3 numbers, I have a lot of cards to
work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...