Monday, August 14, 2017

My New Room and a little Update

This fall I start my new position at my same school as the Primary Resource Teacher.  Basically I am doing the same thing as last year however I now have a little room to work in, instead of the hallway or the principal's conference room. He was very patience and kind to share his space, however sometimes my little four years would get a bit loud when they were excited about learning the alphabet.  

I am now responsible for keeping track of all the guided reading materials as well.  

The room is nothing exciting.  It is down in the basement next to the library.  I'm  sure it was the library storage room at one time but our school is so strapped for space that in recent years this is where our resource teacher carved out a place for herself.  
There are no windows and the light seems a bit limited.  However I am just happy to have a space because when there were a lot of meetings and speech going on in the school, I had to work in the hallways or cafeteria.  Generally not a problem but I always needed to carry everything I needed around with me.  I felt like a bag person.
I am excited to make this my new home.  I hope I will be here for a long time so I want to make this space as pleasant as possible.  Also I want the children to be excited to come to this space to learn.
 I know I can not buy everything right away, however I have a must have list for this year:

  • carpet for floor
  • two or three lamps
  • teaching easel
  • one bookcase
  • Computer to log books/modernize a checkout system for teachers



I cannot start at my school until Thursday because I have so many cute grand-babies to babysit for so I am trying to do little projects at home. 
One of the things I received in my back to school box from Oriental Trading was some Eric Carle stickers.  The theme for my resource room is going to be Eric Carle.  Anyways I took these colorful square stickers I found in the Target $1 section and the Eric Carle stickers from O.T. and labeled my teacher carousel

Before
After
I am very excited to share the Eric Carle bookmarks and pencils that came in the box as well.  I go through so many bookmarks throughout the year.  I think the kids say they need them and then share with their other friends in the classroom.  I don't care....if it keeps them excited about reading....great!   

Pencils are always a problem when I work with kids.  They always come out to me with unsharpen, broken, and worse yet...half eaten pencils.  Sharing a new pencil with them is like giving them a mini reward.  Bookmarks, pencils and erasers are the types of things I reward children with so I am thankful to Oriental Trading for providing me with those wonderful gifts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...