Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Letter I


Inch by Inch

Little Guy and I are working our way through the alphabet and this week we are on the Letter I. 

Although Little Guy can identify most of the capital letters of the alphabet we are still going through it one letter at a time and talking about things that begin with that letter. 

So this week is the letter I.  We started with reading the story,  Inch by Inch, by Leo Lionni.   I brought out a sensory activity that I had prepared for him, Saving the Inchworms from the Ice.  It was very simple to set up.  I have some measuring inchworms and I pulled out all the inch size worms and put them in an ice tray.  I filled the trays up with water and froze them over night.  When we were ready to start the activity, I got some warm water, food coloring and the eye droppers.  Little Guy just squirted away. 


Little Guy enjoyed squirting warm water on the ice.  He put all his inchworms in a container and then we got out his notebook.  
First he sorted all the inchworms by color, then we counted how many inchworms of each color.  Then I introduced Little Guy to the terms most and least and had a little discussion.  This activity did not last long because Little Guy's attention span is very short.  

After lunch we decided it was time to do our I art project.  

We made an ice cream cone with a cherry on top.  Little Guy wanted strawberry and chocolate scoops.  

I couldn't believe it, but Little Guy sat for yet another activity.  I had prepared this name activity for Little Guy in his notebook.  With this activity I was introducing the lowercase letters in his name.  Very simple for me to set up and for Little Guy to complete. 

Of course, we had a scoop of ice cream after lunch.  It was a fun week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...