Friday, June 26, 2015

First Grade Writing Workshop




I posted my summer homework list last week.  I am not able to cross off anything from my list however I am working hard on my Writing/Reading/Phonics Framework and my exit expectations.  I did take some time for daydreaming on Amazon and I found this book that looks interesting so I ordered it.  
It came the next day....really I couldn't believe it.  So I am adding it to my summer reading list.  I read the introduction today and my goal is to read a chapter a week.  I did this last year too. I like to read the chapter and instead of telling you about the chapter I like to reflect on my own teaching and how I can use that information in my classroom.  Hopefully you will find some new ideas from my review as well.  

"Writing every day"
I do believe that the children should have time every day to read and write.  One thing I plan to change in my classroom is to make sure that the students have at least 20 minutes of writing time each day.  That does not include my mini- lesson.  I felt this was lacking in my classroom last year.  I struggled with time constraints all year.  My math lessons went over each day and took time from my mini lessons, which then took time from writing.    

"Mini-lessons...echo what is introduced in a core program.....but with examples from my students each week."  
I need to make my mini-lesson short and to the point.  We talked too much on the carpet.  I need to make sure I am using their work to teach.  


"students write every day about topics they have chosen that are dear to their hearts" 
This I felt my kids were able to do.  I generally gave them one suggestion a quarter and then they had time to write one piece of their choice as well.  Some students wrote some cute stories.  My motivated students wrote several books a quarter where as some of my students struggled to finish one.  I need to have a better grip on the progress they are making.  



2 comments:

  1. I love this review/reflection. So much I can learn. Thank you!!!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyce for your comment. I hope you have a nice summer.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...