Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday Mystery Word


Monday Mystery Word

Thanks to this pin I found from Jodi at Fun In First, I was reminded that it was time to do some making words with my little ones. 
source
When I taught first grade I would have a making words lesson every Friday.  My kids would look forward to it.  So I have decided to incorporate that same idea into my Monday…..that’s where my Monday Mystery Word idea came from.  

I like the idea of using the mystery word as an icebreaker for a new unit or concept.  I generally start new ideas on a Monday so it makes perfect sense to have the  Monday Mystery Word.


I sort of threw it together today however I think you get the point of it.  I did have to give a lot of clues to help kindergarteners start thinking about words. 

I made a quick chart to organize our words by letters:  2 letter words, 3 letter words…..next time I think I might have a column for nonsense words.

This lesson was about 20 minutes.  

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...