Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Martin Luther King Jr.



This year for Martin Luther King Day I found a couple neat ideas on Pinterest.  I looked all over but I could not find what was on the inside of the project so I had to come up with my own idea.

  I came up with a four-part lesson for the day.  We started the day reading,
 The Story of Martin Luther King Jr, 
afterwards the children made portraits of Dr. King.

Then we read, Happy Birthday Dr. King and we discussed our dreams for the future.  What do we dream we will grow up to be?  It was the topic for show and tell this week, so the children had something in the backpacks to share.  We took pictures of the children and then they wrote sentences.



Next, we read Martin’s Book of Words.  We discussed the words that were important to Dr. King.  The children wrote a couple of words and added them to their portraits.

Finally our friends from the other class came to our room and we read the book, The Crayon Box that Talked.  I brought in a box of Crayola crayons and we talked about how all the crayons were the same and all the crayons are different.


Each child picked a crayon and colored it for a bulletin board in the hallway. 

More Photos  


1 comment:

  1. Would you be willing to share your writing page from inside the 'My Dream.' I did the same activity too.

    Check it out: http://sweetkinders1.blogspot.com/2013/01/mlk-recap.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...