Saturday, February 18, 2012

Penguin Journals

I know I am a little late with this post but I wanted to share my little ones' penguins journals with you.  They worked so hard on them.  All the penguins are unique and special.

My little ones wrote their sentences from our graphic organizer we made in class after reading many penguin books.

Here are some sample student pages:



I encourage the children to use post its as sound out sheets.
For example if a child brings the paper above I will look at it and say:
Wow that is awesome!  In the word live you already spelled three of the letters you can hear correctly.   I will then rewrite it on the bottom of the paper as I say...you wrote the l-i-v correctly but you are missing the silent e.  
  
For the words in and have I will draw a star next them because the child already spelled the words correctly.  

That's say the child came up with the sound out sheet and had the word have spelled hv,  I would say to the child great job you heard two sounds in the word have.  I would rewrite the word like this on the paper:
h____ve
 then I would sound out the word and say to the child listen carefully for the missing sound. 

The children seem to like this method.  It encourages my little ones to sound out especially the reluctant ones who are afraid to make mistakes in their journals. 



2 comments:

  1. We're doing penguins too...cute stuff. Glad I found your blog. I'm your newest follower. :o)
    Vicky
    Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...